IMPORTANCE OF TRAINING IN BSF
- Border Security Force, one of the largest Para-Military forces in the World, is
a versatile force, which is responsible for guarding round the clock vast and volatile
borders not only against trans-border criminals but also against heavily armed trans-border
terrorism as well. Though guarding the borders is the prime commitment, security
forces remain heavily and decisively involved in the interior as well in combating
insurgency and militancy in various parts of the country. Because of its friendly
and human face, BSF remains the much sough after Force for combating and containing
serious law and order situations in the trouble prone States. And in case of hot
War, BSF works as a force multiplier and contributes substantially towards over
all War efforts of the nation as a credible front line Force.
- By virtue of this unique dual role, the Border-men more commonly known as "PRAHARI"
is required to be a perfect Policeman during peace and a professional soldier during
War. Management of borders (International Border), restoration of law and order
situation in the interior and fighting a Conventional/unconventional War are the
three challenging assignments which a border-man is required to carryout. In short,
these fundamental essentials make the "Training Trilogy" of BSF. Professional proficiency
of any Force is directly related to the standard of Training of that Force and it
is Primarily due to this commitment that BSF refuses to compromise on its training
assignments irrespective of handicaps and heavy orders. BSF believes in sweating
during peace to ensure that it does not bleed during War or War like situation.
MAJOR TRAINING INSTITUTIONS
For organizing and carrying out "Basic Fundamental" training and "In Service Professional
Training", we have three (03) main training Institutions, (05) Special Training
Schools and (11) STCs/BTCs spread across the Country. Three main training Institutions
- "BSF ACADEMY TEKANPUR" (KHARAKWASLA OF BSF) is situated on Gwalior-Jhansi Highway
at a distance of 30 Kms. from Gwalior (M.P.). This is the almamiter of border-men.
- "TRAINING CENTRE AND SCHOOL" (School of Excellence for Counter Insurgency and Commando
Type Specilised Training) is located at Meru, 12 Kms. off Hazaribagh town. Meru
Camp Hazaribagh is the craddle of specialised type training like Commando and Counter
- "CENTRAL SCHOOL OF WEAPONS AND TACTICS" (School of Excellence for Small Arms) is
located on the out-skirts of Indore on Bijasan Road, Here, we refine and sharpen
the shooting skills of our 'PRAHARIES'.
TRAINING INSTITUTIONS FOR SPECIAL TRAINING
Besides above mentioned three training institutions there are five training schools
for special training:-
- CENTRAL SCHOOL OF MOTOR TRANSPORT (CSMT) GWALIOR (M.P.)
In order to maintain a high standard of functional efficiency and road worthiness
of MT fleet in the Force, the Central School of Motor Transport popularly known
as CSMT, was set up at Sagar (M.P.) in Jan'1963. Initially the School was under
the supervision of MP Police and was taken over by BSF in Feb'71. This school continued
to function at Sagar upto 18/11/1979 before shifting to its present location in
Tekanpur. Spread over an area of 60 acres, this school of Motor Transport has developed
as a prestigious Institution. School has been recognised as a "Centre of Excellence"
by the Ministry of Home Affairs. Motor Training imparted in CSMT includes:-
- Driving and Maintenance course.
- Motor Vehicle mechanic course.
- Auto Electrician course.
- Fleet Management course (Officers)
- BSF Recovery driver course.
- NATIONAL TRAINING CENTRE FOR DOGS(NTCD)GWALIOR (MP.)
The National Training Centre for Dogs (NTCD) is a premier Training Institution run
by BSF on behalf of MHA. The NTCD breeds service dogs, trains dogs and their handlers
for BSF, other Central Police Organisation and State Police Organisations. The dogs
are trained in basic obedience, narcotics and explosive detection, tracking, guard
duties and patrolling. The dogs trained by NTCD have an enviable record of service.
Some of the achievement at a glance:-
- "HEARO" proud product of NTCD, ensured a seizure of more than Rs.100 crores
for Bombay Customs.
- "SONU", another proud product of NTCD, effected a seizure of 2.2 crores of
high-grade hashish in 1997 at Delhi Airport.
- Similarly 'SUKKA' seized 14 kgs of high-grade hashish valued of Rs.1.40 crores
for Delhi Customs.
- "FANTA" was instrumental in detecting 10 Kgs of RDX during Amarnath Yatra in
1993. Thus played a major role in averting what could have led to a major tragedy.
- SIGNAL TRAINING SCHOOL-I TIGRI CAMP NEW DELHI
The Border Security Force, Signal Training School-I is located at Tigri Camp, New
Delhi adjacent to Khanpur on M B Road.
- SIGNAL TRAINING SCHOOL-II YELAHANKA (BANGALORE)
The STS-II BSF is located on Chaklate-Bangalore road near Yelahanka, 21 Kms off
- 'G' TRAINING SCHOOL NEW DELHI
The BSF 'G' Training School is located at block 'C', Ist floor, Pushpa Bhawan (Madangir)
in South Delhi.
SUBSIDIARY TRAINING CENTRES AND BASIC TRAINING CENTRES
In addition to main Training Institutions, BSF has (11) Subsidiary Training Centres/Basic
Training Centres. Basically these are the breeding and training centres for various
field formations. Coverage and establishments in 2 tiers:-
- STCs COVERING BORDER STATES
- STC BSF Hamhama (Kashmir)
- STC BSF Udhampur (Jammu)
- STC BSF Kharka Camp (Punjab)
- STC BSF Jodhpur (Rajasthan)
- STC BSF Baikunthpur, Siliguri (Bengal)
- STC BSF Chura Chandpur, Manipur (Assma, Manipur, Meghalaya and Nagaland)
- STCs/BTCs COVERING INTER LAND
These are the nodal training Centres where 400-500 recruits always remain under
training, thus training approximately 5000 recruits every year.
- STC BSF Tekanpur (Gwalior)
- STC BSF Yelahanka (Banglore)
- STC BSF Hazaribagh (Jharkhand)
- BTC BSF Hazaribagh (Jharkhand)
- BTC BSF Indore (MP)
THE PRIDE OF REPUBLIC DAY PARADE
Although marching contingents of foot columns BSF Brass Band, Camel Mounted Band
and Trick Riders grace the Republic Day Parade celebrations every year, "Camel Mounted
Band of BSF, Guinnies book of record holder and the only band of its kind in the
World, remains the pride of Rajpath on 26th January. Aura of this unique Camel Mounted
Band is irresistible to such an extent that a British, 54 Delegation, attending
Republic Day Parade during 1999 extended an on the spot invitation to BSF for permitting
this majestic Camel Mounted Band to take part in the Tattoo show being organised
at Edinburgh UK in 2000 AD as a part of Edinburg Military Tattoo Show celebrations.
Pride of Rajpath has now become the pride of the nation" with this unique honour.
"MORE YOU SWEAT DURING PEACE LESS YOU BLEED DURING WAR"
BSF has the unique distinction of training large number of trainees from foreign
Countries like Bhutan, Nepal, Mauritius, Kenya, Malaysia, Palestine etc. Till 1999,
BSF has trained 298 personnel of various categories from foreign Countries in addition
to training approximately 9000 to 10000 (400 to 500) recruits and 4000 to 5000 service
personnel from their own organization in our training institutions.