Till 1965 India’s borders with Pakistan were manned by the State Armed Police Battalion.
Pakistan attacked Sardar Post, Chhar Bet and Beria Bet on 9 April, 1965 in Kutch.
This exposed the inadequacy of the State Armed Police to cope with armed aggression
due to which the Government of India felt the need for a specialized centrally controlled
Border Security Force, which would be armed and trained to man the International
Border with Pakistan. As a result of the recommendations of the Committee of Secretaries,
the Border Security Force came into existence on 01 Dec 1965, and Shri K F Rustamji
was the first chief and founding father.
ROLE OF THE BSF:
SECURITY OF BORDER OF India and matters connected therewith.
TASKS OF THE BSF:
The tasks of the BSF are divided as follows:
- Peace time:
- Promote a sense of security among the people living in the border areas.
- Prevent trans border crimes, unauthorized entry into or exit from the territory
- Prevent smuggling and any other illegal activity.
In the last few years the BSF has, in addition to their duties, been deployed for
counter insurgency and internal security duties
- War Time:
- Holding ground in less threatened sectors.
- Protection of vital installations.
- Assistance in control of refugees.
- Anti-infiltration duties in specified areas.
The BSF, in its 41 years of existence, has emerged as an elite force of the country
having excelled with distinction in the 1971 war with Pakistan. Its ethos is “Any
task, any time, any where” and the BSF has given blood and sweat to execute its
motto “Duty Unto Death”.
BORDER FENCING /FLOOD LIGHTING/ROADS:
The concept of border fencing, flood lighting and construction of roads has been
introduced with the aim to stop infiltration/infiltration on the Western and Eastern
YOU KNOW ?
- The BSF contributes every year a number of personnel for services for UN Mission.
- During the Kargil conflict in May-July 1999, the BSF remained on the heights of
the mountains and defended the integrity of the country with all the might at its
command in unison with the Army.
- BSF personnel have been performing Internal Security Duty in Manipur for the last
two years and have been successfully fighting insurgency in those areas.
- During the earthquake in Gujarat on 26th January 2001, the BSF was the first to
reach out to help the distressed people.
- During the communal disturbances in Gujarat recently, BSF personnel went all out
to restore amity and brotherhood among the people.
- The BSF took over the erection of the border fencing in Jammu & Kashmir and it was
successful in its task despite all attempts of Pakistan to scuttle our efforts.
- The BSF has been defending the borders along with the army and checking infiltration
on the borders during the current standoff with Pakistan.